DRaaS (Disaster Recovery as a Service)
To ensure uninterrupted operation of a customer's IT infrastructure, CROC deploys custom-tailored solutions such as Disaster Recovery-as-a-Service (DRaaS). The solution is based on multiple cloud sites which are interconnected by optical links and also connected to М9 and М10 trunks.
CROC currently owns three data centers:
Cloud platform arms (parts) are located in two of the centers.
- The Kompressor Data Center is one of three sites in Russia certified in accordance with Uptime Institute Tier III standards;
- While starting a server or creating a disk/network on a self-service portal, you may select the arm (part) of the platform where the service is to be launched;
- Connection between two data centers is provided via CROC's own optical links and is therefore free of charge;
- Selection of telecom providers to ensure their trunks enter the data center via two different routes;
- Two-site configuration allows for:
- Building of distributed fault tolerant clusters;
- Geographical separation of operational data and backup copies;
- Configuration of site-to-site replication at the application software level.
BaaS (Backup as a service)
CROC offers Backup as a Service (BaaS) from its own Virtual Data Center. BaaS helps ensure data security in case of any emergency at the customer’s site.
- Fault-tolerant remote storage of backup copies, no hardware on site, and reduction in capital expenditure
- Minimized amount of IT staff required for backup system administration
- Flexible system setup in accordance with current backup data volume, with complete management of backup costs
Basic usage scenarios
Local protection within customer's own data center
Backup copies are located within the customer's data center or another storage location within the customer's IT environment. For fault-tolerance purposes, a second backup copy is stored in CROC's Virtual Data Center.
Remote protection and archiving of customer's data within CROC's cloud storage
Integration agents (installed on customer's information systems) transfer a copy of data for storage directly to CROC's cloud. The fact local data repositories are not required means solution deployment becomes much easier. Deduplication technology helps reduce data transfer volumes and internal encryption algorithms ensure that data is not compromised. When necessary, data can be recovered (via data transfer channel) from the cloud: quickly, in full and with no data losses.
Desktop protection in CROC's cloud
This is a ready-to-use service to protect customer's data located within CROC's cloud. CROC's Virtual Data Center has all the hardware and software preinstalled and preconfigured to create and store backup copies. After service startup, all the customer needs to do is install software agents and connect desktops to CROC's cloud and data backup will start right away. Data can be accessed via a self-service portal available through a web browser or a mobile app while data confidentiality is provided by encryption and secure data channels (HTTPS or VPN).
CROC deploys backup systems in the cloud based on EMC Avamar and CommVault Simpana products. These solutions are known for de-duplication technology, which allows for a reduction in channel operation costs. Less capacity is required as each backup session only covers data blocks that have actually been changed. This approach thus dramatically reduces the volume of the daily full backups in comparison with the volume of productive data.
EMC Avamar Benefits:
- An optimum solution for customers who wish to dramatically reduce data transfer volumes
- Data transfer via any channel thanks to effective global deduplication on block and variable-length segment levels
- With smart deduplication, each backup is complete and customers can thus quickly locate data and run recovery
- Improved data security thanks to multiuser mode and two-level encryption
- Guaranteed data security thanks to multi-layer data protection and disk(s) physically located within CROC's secure data center
- System recovery at any time thanks to daily data check-ups
- In many cases, accelerated data recovery thanks to highly efficient deduplication and Change Block Tracking technology - EMC Avamar is therefore ideal for virtual environment backup
- Source based global deduplication offers the highest level of performance and reduces traffic when sending data to CROC's cloud
EMC Avamar Technical Features
1. The EMC Avamar hardware component is based on a multi-node structure on x86 servers. Data is stored on internal server disks, and is shared evenly among nodes. Protection is ensured both at server level (RAID) and system level - nodes are unified in a fault-tolerant Redundant Array of Independent Nodes (RAIN). This configuration ensures data security if one of the cluster nodes fails. System configuration includes a Spare Node, which takes all load and data from the failed node.
2. The EMC Avamar software component is proprietary client-server software while the server component operates under SUSE Linux. Backups are performed via the transfer of de-duplicated data to the server from the Avamar agent installed on the application server. All data is transferred over TCP/IP, which allows for data transfer over WAN.
3. Customer data protection in a cloud environment is provided by the following functionality:
- Domain structure: Each customer has its own domain - a dedicated hierarchical server structure which isolates its environment from those of other customers. Domains are administered separately, with access to each domain from within any other domain being restricted. A domain may include sub-domains to facilitate administration.
- Role model: Account rights within a domain may be divided into three roles (administrator, operator, and user). Each role may be further adjusted (e.g. user with recovery-only rights, operator with monitoring-only rights, etc.).
- Data encryption: Transferred data may be encrypted using AES 256 bit algorithm.
4. Data Integrity and Availability
- System operates 24x7
- RAIN fault-tolerant architecture, use of RAID, as well as power and networking redundancy
- Replication: EMC Avamar supports both full and partial data replication to another Avamar system over TCP/IP
- Daily checks: Every day, EMC Avamar independently checks data recoverability and makes recovery checkpoints for further recovery.
CommVault Simpana Benefits:
- Impressive "all in one" functionality includes data backup, archiving and indexing
- A single solution can be used for virtual, physical, and heterogeneous environments
- Native support of virtually all operating systems, data bases and applications, including industrial solutions such as SAP ERP, HANA, EMC Documentum, and Oracle DBMS
- Front-end licensing enables flexible overall cost management
- Both source and target based deduplication saves resources on data transfer and storage
- Archiving of rarely used data frees up primary storage space and increases production system scalability
- Indexing enables all users to quickly access data while data finding and recovering can be performed through a user-friendly internal search engine
- The combination of backup and archiving within one pass thanks to Simpana OnePass technology reduces time and infrastructure requirements by half
CommVault Simpana Technical Features
1. The system architecture allows for the storing of a master backup copy either at the customer's site or in CROC's Virtual Data Center regardless of the source data location. At the customer's site, a media server is installed and connected to existing master backup copy storage and backup agents are deployed for servers, storage systems, desktops and laptops. CROC's cloud is a platform for system management components, storage systems which keep backup copies, as well as data processing and data presentation services. The customer's IT personnel can access system management functions while regular users can access their secure data.
2. CommVault Simpana has a unified platform with a single management console. The platform allows for unified management and use of the entire system functionality, which can be further expanded without using any additional data storage or management systems. Data storage is also unified and feature-independent, and supports multi-level hierarchy, deduplication, replication, and encryption.
3. The system provides different access levels to secure data:
- Basic access to data for employees using web-console and mobile application (on iOS or Android platform)
- Extended access to data for employees with content search functionality
- Specialized utilities for information security team to access all data (with content search and filtering features) and to protect data from unauthorized removal
4. Internal utilities enable seamless migration from existing systems to a unified backup system, thus reducing the total cost of ownership for the BaaS service. The solution supports schedules and agents data migration from products by Symantec, EMC Networker, IBM TSM, and Veeam.
5. The service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and backup copies are stored within CROC's Virtual Data Center on reliable disk arrays. Customers can use either their own data center storage devices and make duplicate backups into CROC's cloud or use CROC's Virtual Data Center as a primary data repository.
SAP HANA platform (PaaS)
Highly effective big data processing engine.
Banks, insurance companies and financial institutions can employ a highly effective data processing engine, SAP HANA, to analyze risks, combat fraud, and reduce losses caused by unlawful acts. With SAP HANA, large corporations accelerate consolidated reporting and improve business management, while retailers drastically speed up procurement analysis and benefit from both real-time stock management and the establishment of long-term supply models.
CROC's cloud solution features:
- Deployed in an isolated segment of CROC’s cloud, a ready-to-use platform can be employed to develop PaaS applications (Platform-as-a-Service), while multi-tenancy enables each customer to create separate virtual application instances and see its own configuration and data sets only
- Obtaining access to VM template with pre-installed SAP HANA software, IaaS (Infrastructure-as-a-Service) customers can individually use the platform functionality for testing and development purposes. Possible scenarios:
- EDMS by SAP HANA and application functionality powered by another technology
- Both EDMS and application functionality based on SAP HANA
The certified partner status awarded by SAP SE confirms that CROC is a specialist in hosting, cloud computing, application administration and SAP HANA management services in Russia.