CROC deploys backup systems in the cloud based on EMC Avamar, CommVault Simpana, and Veeam Backup & Replication products. These solutions are known for de-duplication technology, which allows for a reduction in channel operation costs. Less capacity is required as each backup session only covers data blocks that have actually been changed. This approach thus dramatically reduces the volume of the daily full backups in comparison with the volume of productive data.
EMC Avamar Benefits:
- An optimum solution for customers who wish to dramatically reduce data transfer volumes
- Data transfer via any channel thanks to effective global deduplication on block and variable-length segment levels
- With smart deduplication, each backup is complete and customers can thus quickly locate data and run recovery
- Improved data security thanks to multiuser mode and two-level encryption
- Guaranteed data security thanks to multi-layer data protection and disk(s) physically located within CROC’s secure data center
- System recovery at any time thanks to daily data check-ups
- In many cases, accelerated data recovery thanks to highly efficient deduplication and Change Block Tracking technology — EMC Avamar is therefore ideal for virtual environment backup
- Source based global deduplication offers the highest level of performance and reduces traffic when sending data to CROC’s cloud
EMC Avamar Technical Features
1. The EMC Avamar hardware component is based on a multi-node structure on x86 servers. Data is stored on internal server disks, and is shared evenly among nodes. Protection is ensured both at server level (RAID) and system level — nodes are unified in a fault-tolerant Redundant Array of Independent Nodes (RAIN). This configuration ensures data security if one of the cluster nodes fails. System configuration includes a Spare Node, which takes all load and data from the failed node.
2. The EMC Avamar software component is proprietary client-server software while the server component operates under SUSE Linux. Backups are performed via the transfer of de-duplicated data to the server from the Avamar agent installed on the application server. All data is transferred over TCP/IP, which allows for data transfer over WAN.
3. Customer data protection in a cloud environment is provided by the following functionality:
- Domain structure: Each customer has its own domain — a dedicated hierarchical server structure which isolates its environment from those of other customers. Domains are administered separately, with access to each domain from within any other domain being restricted. A domain may include sub-domains to facilitate administration.
- Role model: Account rights within a domain may be divided into three roles (administrator, operator, and user). Each role may be further adjusted (e.g. user with recovery-only rights, operator with monitoring-only rights, etc.).
- Data encryption: Transferred data may be encrypted using AES 256 bit algorithm.
4. Data Integrity and Availability
- System operates 24×7
- RAIN fault-tolerant architecture, use of RAID, as well as power and networking redundancy
- Replication: EMC Avamar supports both full and partial data replication to another Avamar system over TCP/IP
- Daily checks: Every day, EMC Avamar independently checks data recoverability and makes recovery checkpoints for further recovery
CommVault Simpana Benefits:
- Impressive «all in one» functionality includes data backup, archiving and indexing
- A single solution can be used for virtual, physical, and heterogeneous environments
- Native support of virtually all operating systems, databases and applications, including industrial solutions such as SAP ERP, HANA, EMC Documentum, and Oracle DBMS
- Front-end licensing enables flexible overall cost management Both source and target based deduplication saves resources on data transfer and storage
- Archiving of rarely used data frees up primary storage space and increases production system scalability. Indexing enables all users to quickly access data while data finding and recovering can be performed through a user-friendly internal search engine
- The combination of backup and archiving within one pass thanks to Simpana OnePass technology reduces time and infrastructure requirements by half
CommVault Simpana Technical Features
1. The system architecture allows for the storing of a master backup copy either at the customer’s site or in CROC’s Virtual Data Center regardless of the source data location. At the customer’s site, a media server is installed and connected to existing master backup copy storage and backup agents are deployed for servers, storage systems, desktops and laptops. CROC’s cloud is a platform for system management components, storage systems which keep backup copies, as well as data processing and data presentation services. The customer’s IT personnel can access system management functions while regular users can access their secure data.
2. CommVault Simpana has a unified platform with a single management console. The platform allows for unified management and use of the entire system functionality, which can be further expanded without using any additional data storage or management systems. Data storage is also unified and feature-independent, and supports multi-level hierarchy, deduplication, replication, and encryption.
3. The system provides different access levels to secure data:
- Basic access to data for employees using web-console and mobile application (on iOS or Android platform)
- Extended access to data for employees with content search functionality
- Specialized utilities for information security team to access all data (with content search and filtering features) and to protect data from unauthorized removal
4. Internal utilities enable seamless migration from existing systems to a unified backup system, thus reducing the total cost of ownership for the BaaS service. The solution supports schedules and agents data migration from products by Symantec, EMC Networker, IBM TSM, and Veeam.
5. The service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and backup copies are stored within CROC’s Virtual Data Center on reliable disk arrays. Customers can use either their own data center storage devices and make duplicate backups into CROC’s cloud or use CROC’s Virtual Data Center as a primary data repository.
Veeam Backup & Replication Benefits:
- Quick and reliable backup to CROC’s repository via a secure channel thanks to built-in WAN acceleration
- Storage of a master backup copy, either at customer’s site or in CROC’s Virtual Data Center
- Veeam Backup & Replication v8 is certified by the Russian Technical and Export Control Agency (FSTEC) and can be used to protect data in information systems (up to security class 1, inclusive), as well as to process personal data
- VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V allow for VM replication to CROC’s cloud
- Ease of use thanks to visualized operations and cloud storage controls
- Support of forever incremental backups, with only files that have changed since last session being copied
- Grandfather-father-son (GFS) rotation scheme for weekly and monthly backup cycles
Veeam Backup & Replication Features
1. Veeam Backup & Replication server is deployed at customer’s site (if not deployed yet) and virtual infrastructure backup jobs are configured. Secure access gateways, installed in CROC’s cloud, ensure data processing and network traffic transfer.
2. Veeam Cloud Connect ensures connection to a backup repository located in CROC’s cloud and used as a remote backup storage server.
3. Backup jobs are managed via a standard Veeam Backup & Replication server console. Data recovery can be managed through either the Veeam server console, or a self-service portal with the following functionality:
- File, VM, and application object recovery and search in one click
- Management of recovery rights depending on user level
- User and group visibility settings
- Access via a web interface or RESTful API
4. Built-in WAN acceleration ensures up to 50x faster data transfer via a secured SSL channel thanks to caching, transfer of only changed data using variable-length blocks, deduplication, and TCP/IP optimization.
5. Backup copies are stored within CROC’s Virtual Data Center on reliable disk arrays in encrypted form.